Because laminate flooring is relatively new to the market and so closely resembles other hard surfaces, there’s a mystery surrounding it. Basically, laminates are the result of a direct-pressure manufacturing process that fuses four layers into one extremely durable surface. They are:
- Back layer: The back is reinforced with melamine for structural stability and moisture resistance;
- Fiberboard core: Ultra dense core board provides impact resistance and stability. It also features an edge sealing treatment that provides even further structural stability.
- Decorative layer: This layer, which is what you see from above, is actually a highly detailed photograph that gives the laminate the appearance of wood or tile.
- Wear layer: The melamine wear layer is a tough, clear finish reinforced with aluminum oxide, one of the hardest mineral compounds known to man, to resist staining, fading, surface moisture, and wear.
THE TOP FIVE REASONS TO LOVE LAMINATE FLOORING
- The tongue-and-groove locking technology of laminate flooring eliminates unsightly gaps at the seams.
- Ultra-durable flooring planks can be taken apart and reassembled if necessary.
- Laminate floorings can be used in any room of the house — below, on or above grade level.
- Although it emulates higher end wood and ceramic flooring, laminate flooring is less expensive.
- There’s no waiting… You can walk on your new laminate floor immediately after installation is complete.
Pre-Installation of your Laminate Floors
In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, here is a pre-installation checklist:
- Verification of the installation date.
- Ensuring the removal of all breakables from the room.
- Determining who will remove furniture, appliances and the sub-floor, if needed.
- Arranging for the disconnection of gas appliances and icemakers.
- Determining if any change to the height of the floor require adjustments to doors in order for them to close properly.
- Ensuring the removal of items in storage areas and closets where the floor is to be resurfaced.
- Make certain drapes, wall hangings and pictures are removed from walls.
- Verify that your in-home temperature is appropriate for installation.
Laminate Brands with links to their websites: